How to Recertify
Certificants have two options for reporting credits earned. The first and preferred option is the AFP Online Recertification Resource Center. Once you have earned and reported all 36 credits, the tool will allow you to pay your recertification fee online using a credit card.
The second option is to submit the Recertification Reporting Form this option must be used when:
- Paying by check
- Reporting credits using the paper form
The completed form can be mailed or faxed to AFP. This form may only be submitted once all 36 recertification credits have been earned.
Request A General Extension
If you are unable to meet the 36 recertification credits requirement by the end of your three-year cycle, but have been working toward meeting the requirement by earning at least one (1) continuing education credit, you may request an extension. The maximum extension granted is six months, June 30 to December 31 of the reporting year. Further extensions will not be granted.
Your credential will remain current during the period of your extension but you will shorten the length of your next reporting cycle since credits may not be used twice. Please treat this policy as a courtesy.
During the extension period
- Your credential will remain current during the period of your extension but you will shorten the length of your next reporting cycle since credits may not be used twice.
- Credits earned during the extension period cannot be used again in the following cycle.
- However, excess credits earned above the 36 required can be applied to the next reporting cycle.
To Request An Extension
1. Complete and return the Recertification Extension Form by fax or mail. Extension requests cannot be submitted using the online recertification resource center.
- Indicate your request for an extension
- List all credits earned to date (at least one (1) continuing education credit must be listed inorder for the extension to be granted)
2. Submit the form along with the Extension Request fee ($75 for AFP members, $150 for non-members).For more information on the CTP recertification requirements and continuing education activities/topics that are eligible for credit, see the Recertification Guidelines on the AFPOnline.org site.